Sunday 20 September 2009

Elbow-Toe

We went to the Brooklyn flea last weekend in DUMBO and walking back to the subway, we walked past an interesting looking door and this caught my eye - which I thought was sweet.
TinyPic

TinyPic


I didn't think anything more of it until I saw this one in Union Square...
TinyPic

Now I noticed a pattern, so with a bit of research I discovered that they are the creations of Elbow-Toe, a Brooklyn based street artist. He has been creating hand-coloured linocuts pasted on walls for a while now.
"His artwork for the streets is grounded in myth, symbolism and poetry and is primarily executed in woodcut, stencil or large-scale charcoal drawings. His oeuvre is a study of human gesture as communication and he utilizes public spaces as stages for private moments. He is particularly interested in the ability of environmental forces outside his control to create a timeless quality to the work thereby allowing it to feel as if it has been memory and is part of the collective unconscious." He has also been busy on the side of the pond in London, like this one taken from his website:
TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment