Sunday 4 October 2009

Justin Richel - sweet things

If I said to you draw a picture which incorporates cakes, coffee and furniture you'd first probably ask why?! Secondly, you'd probably struggle to think of what to paint, but not for Jersey born Justin Richel. Richel has a thing (I'm told it's almost an obsession) for these 3 strange concoctions, so much so that the main body of his paintings are just that. He also likes to draw birds, portraits, big wigs and history - but never mixes these categories in the same piece. I'm a big fan of cakes myself, so I was immediately drawn to his works. They are all painted in gouche, beautifully intricate and playfully composed. His series entitled 'sweets' is impressive, and I salute him for taking on such a challenge and being strict with his subjects, but annoyingly he makes it look so effortless...See his website and Esty shop for more of his works.
TinyPic


TinyPic

TinyPic


TinyPic

TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment