Thursday 15 October 2009

Maurice Sendak

TinyPic

TinyPic


Maurice Sendak's Where The Wild Things Are film is coming out tomorrow. The world's favourite book has had a 'wild' affect on everyone. I've seen no end of billboards, TV ads and even Urban Outfitters are getting in on the act. They have their own line of WTWTA toys, cushions, t-shirts, and other merchandise. As I also found out there is a Maurice Sendak exhibition on at the Animazing Gallery in Soho NYC, called 'Sendak in Soho: the artwork of Maurice Sendak'.
TinyPic

TinyPic


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

TinyPic

'Sendak in Soho' is the World's largest Sendak exhibition and sale of his original illustrations and etchings (they have over 200 of them). The exhibited work is a mix of conceptual illustrations and published work. It was a privilege to see the works in progress, tracings, early drafts, limited editions and etchings of one of the books I grew up with.


Those lucky enough to afford the artworks will be in for a treat, but it was out of my range especially as my favorite turned out to be $185,000...ouch. Some of the proceeds will benefit the Rosenbach Museum & Library and Jane Goodall Institute, an organization dedicated to the well-being of real-world wild things. This show coincides with the film release as well as the critically-acclaimed Sendak retrospectives at the Morgan Library & Museum in New York City and the Contemporary Jewish Museum in San Francisco. It's fitting that he has two exhibitions in his native NY (he was born in Brooklyn in 1928). You couldn't take photos inside, so here is what I could take:

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

"I never thought I'd sell this artwork. It holds a place in my heart almost too dear for me to part with it. But, as I age, I find myself letting go of things I never thought I would. Now, with the Wild Things movie about to be released, feels like the perfect time. Having worked with Nick and Heidi at Animazing Gallery in the past adds to my comfort in selling these pieces." - Maurice Sendak


This free exhibition runs from Oct 2 - Nov 8, 2009. In a few weeks time I will experience my first US Halloween, and I'm already betting that I will see many Max's or other characters from the book. We shall have to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment