Monday 12 October 2009

Jan Constantine, cushion Queen!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I've been an admirer (I guess more distant window shopper) of Jan Constantine's beautiful cushions for a long time now. I've always wanted one, but could never justify spending that much on a cushion. Luckily for me, one of my best friends bought me one as a leaving present when we left the UK, more of a memento to remind us not to forget Blighty! And I was hugely touched. It now sits proudly in the middle of our HUGE American sofa. I don't have the photo of this at the moment, but here is the cushion (as always, click on the images for more details)...
TinyPic

TinyPic

TinyPic

They are expensive, but totally worth it. Each felted wool cushion is uniquely hand embroidered with cross stitch and blanket stitch detail. The central appliqued heart adds the Constantine touch. Jan Constantine has many other colour and textile variations of cushions, pillows, blankets, tea cosies, handbags etc. Not to mention they are all created with natural dyes and yarns. They sell a good selection of them at the V&A.


British born Jan has a design background in fashion, interiors and styling, which comes across in her collections. She has gathered most her inspirations from her grandmother and great aunts, who taught her how to embroider. I really appreciate hand crafted items and the importance of keeping skilled traditional crafts alive, which is why I like her work ethics especially as she has employed a team of talented craftspeople in Cheshire. She hopes that her items will also get handed down the generations and become heirlooms, I will do my hardest to look after mine, and keep it out of the cat's reach!


Her style also reminds me of Paul Smith's 'Love Too' needle point wall hanging (made from hand spun wool, designed by Paul Smith for The Rug Company) which for those of you SATC fans, you will have spotted it in Carrie Bradshaw's newly decorated apartment from the first film. Delicious!!

TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment