Friday 22 May 2009

Charley Harper

Whilst seeking inspiration in Tate Modern’s book shop I found a huge book by the late artist/illustrator, Charley Harper, called Charley Harper: An Illustrated Life. I thought the illustrations were just so lovely and fresh. Harper who grew up on a farm in West Virginia and was inspired by the animals, plants and wildlife that surrounded him. The images look like they were created recently, yet most of his work dates from the 50’s to 80’s, but because of his stylised geometric lines and flat colours they are timeless. Needless to say, I left feeling very inspired!


Watermelon Moon, 1973




Birdfeeders, 1970


Pier Group, 1984 and Scary Scenario, 2008




"I don't think there was much resistance to the way I simplified things. I think everybody understood that. Some people liked it and others didn't care for it. There's some who want to count all the feathers in the wings and then others who never think about counting the feathers, like me."-Charley Harper

No comments:

Post a Comment