Saturday 4 July 2009

Oliver Jeffers

I received a newsletter the other day from Belfast born, Oliver Jeffers, and that's when I realised that I haven't blogged about one of my all time favourite illustrators/artists/writers - shocking!


Jeffers is very well known for his children's books after winning many awards in 2006 for his second book Lost and Found. His mixed media techniques and paint textures are the elements of his work that I'm most drawn to. His painting style is extremely endearing, simple and sensitively composed.


My personal favourite is the The Incredible Book Eating Boy as I love the attention to detail he has put into it - the hardback book has a bite sized chunk missing from one of the corners; the backgrounds of the pages are made up of old musty books and book pages so that the text is just visible through his paintings. He has also used letraset on his pages, which I really like. It didn't help that when I went to The Illustration Cupboard in London (the worst place for a children's book enthusiast to go) that they had the original paintings from this book available to purchase...much will power was needed that day :(

TinyPic

TinyPic


TinyPic

TinyPic

TinyPic


TinyPic

TinyPic


Check his website out for his other works such as his amazing canvas and found or made object paintings and collages, such as the one below.
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment